Chocolate Beetroot Cake recipe
PUBLISHED: 00:00 25 October 2014
Don’t be alarmed by the prospect of a root vegetable in a cake. Everyone loves carrot cake don’t they?
For the cake
8oz/225g raw beetroot
Start with roasting your beetroots, in their skin and covered in foil in a medium oven 180c for 30 minutes, then cool, peel, (The skins should just slip away in your fingers.) and finely chop them up.
6.25oz/175g plain flour
4 rounded teaspoons/10g baking powder
3oz/75g cocoa powder
8oz/225g caster sugar
3 medium free range eggs
7fl.oz/200 ml corn oil
For the chocolate ganache
9oz/250 grams dark chocolate
8fl.oz/250 ml double cream
1. Preheat the oven to 200c / gas mark 6.
2. Grease and line a 20cm cake tin (preferably a spring form, although lining with baking parchment works well, too.)
3. Sift the flour, baking powder, cocoa powder and sugar into a bowl.
4. Blend the eggs, beetroot and corn oil in a blender until smooth.
5. Fold the beetroot mixture into the dry ingredients.
6. Bake for 40 minutes on medium shelf.
Meanwhile, make the ganache.
Put the double cream into a saucepan and simmer gently until just before it reaches boiling point.
Break the chocolate into pieces and put into a mixing bowl.
Pour the warmed double cream onto the broken chocolate and mix gently until the two are blended together to make a silky chocolate icing, cover with cling-film until using.
Remove the cake from the oven and leave to cool. Once chilled generously cover the cake with the chocolate ganache.