27 pictures that sum up the beauty of living in the Lake District
PUBLISHED: 18:34 25 February 2016 | UPDATED: 18:52 25 February 2016
Is it any wonder that Cumbria and the Lake District is a popular place for a staycation? From the towering Lakeland Fells to the pretty towns and villages, there are plenty of reasons to love the Lakes
1. Here in the Lake District, we are surrounded by picture-perfect scenery. Scarfell pike, the highest point in England, is breathtaking in the snow…
2. … and magnificent in the sunshine
3. Sheep are part of the landscape too
4. Especially Herdwick Sheep, a native Cumbrian breed.
5. It not all lakes and fells though, Cumbria is full of great places to eat…
6. And cosy country pubs
7. The gingerbread at Grasmere is seriously good.
8. But not everyone is a fan of Kendal mint cake!
9. We’re a sporty bunch too, especially when it comes to fell running..
10 … closely followed by Cumberland wrestling.
11. We are proud of our dialect and put it on our signs.
12. If we’re talking fashion, wellies are part of the uniform round here (okay, we may be stereotyping a little).
13. There’s always someone happy to help you out, whether it’s in the floods…
14. Or moving a herd of animals from the road.
16. To Coleridge at Keswick…
17. because the scenery is truly sublime.
18. You might even recognise the world of Postman Pat…
19. … as the author John Cunliffe was inspired by the village of Longsleddale.
20. Or visit Beatrix Potter’s Hill Top House in Near Sawrey.
21. Student life is different here – you can study by the edge of a lake at the University of Cumbria…
22. …or seek inspiration as you soak up the great outdoors next to Stock Ghyll Force, a 70ft waterfall in Ambleside
23. In fact, forces are everywhere. From the mighty Scale Force, the highest in the Lakes
24. …to the rainbow-adorned beauty of Aira Force.
25. You might not find a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, although you can make a wish at the nearby money tree
26. But you can rest assured that there will always be the spectacular views…
27. Followed by memorable sunsets.
The Lake District is truly is a beautiful place to live.